What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual, other than an individual’s business title or business contact information. Personal information (e.g. name, address, age, credit card information, banking information) does not include information that cannot be associated with or tracked back to a specific individual. Information that is publicly available, such as a telephone book listing, is also not considered to be personal information.
What information does BSM collect?
1. Personally identifying information
Brunswick Street Mission only collects personally identifying information about donors, clients, volunteers and event participants for fundraising, public education and advocacy purposes, program and service delivery, as well as to establish, maintain and manage our relationship with you.
- contact and identification information, such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address
- donation information such as date of gift, amount of gift, the campaign you contributed to, name of spouse or partner if it was a joint gift
- financial information such as your payment methods and preferences, billing and banking information (credit card number and expiry date or chequing account transit numbers, in order to process your donation); for online financial transactions such as donations and event registrations, we process standard credit card information (card number, card type and expiration date) via a secure, 128-bit encrypted Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) session. SSL is the proven standard for secure web transactions.
- other personal information used for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances (e.g. if you have demonstrated an interest in participating in a fund-raising event, , we may send you information regarding other fund-raising programs and services)
Some of the information Brunswick Street Mission collects is needed in order to satisfy the requirements of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) (e.g. income tax receipts). There are also circumstances where the use and/or disclosure of personal information is justified or permitted without consent. These circumstances may include:
- where required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other governmental tribunal
- where the Society believes, upon reasonable grounds, that it is necessary to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of an identifiable person or group
- where the information is public
Brunswick Street Mission generally collects your personal information directly from you and only with your consent. In addition, Brunswick Street Mission will not collect or use personal information about you from a third party.
2. Website generated information: "cookies" and "tags"
3. How does Brunswick Street Mission use your personal information?
As explained above, Brunswick Street Mission uses your personal information for fundraising, to process donations, to respond to requests for services and information, and to keep you informed of Brunswick Street Mission activities.
4. When does Brunswick Street Mission disclose your personal information?
Brunswick Street Mission shares your personal information only with employees and/or volunteers who require such information to establish, manage and maintain our relationship with you. We do not sell, rent or share your information with any other group, organzation or business.
5. Accuracy of information
Brunswick Street Mission aims to ensure that any personal information provided is accurate, complete and current as required for the purposes for which the information is used.
6. Retention of personal information
Brunswick Street Mission keeps personal information only as long as it is required for the reasons it was collected. The length of time we retain information varies, depending on the program, service or event and the nature of the information, for example we generally keep financial information for 6 years, in accordance with CRA rules and regulations. The retention period may extend beyond your relationship with us. When your personal information is no longer required for Brunswick Street Mission purposes, the information is either physically destroyed or deleted.
7. Links to other websites from brunswickstreetmission.org
Brunswick Street Mission may provide links to other websites which we believe may be of interest to you. BSM has no control over the content of any of these websites, these links may be updated or deleted as deemed appropriate.
Please be aware that Brunswick Street Mission is not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites that we link to. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each and every website that requests personal information from you.
8. Inquiries and requests for access