We welcome and encourage applications from the Indigenous community, people with disabilities, racially visible community, women, queer community, and folks who contribute to the diversity of our community. BSM’s Volunteer Program is a model of choice and flexibility where volunteers can sign up to help based on their availability.
If you are looking for a volunteer position please take a look at the opportunities available with Brunswick Street Mission below.
You can email your interest or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We ask all volunteers to understand that the community we work with may be dealing with trauma which can affect they way they interact with others, and ask that you are patient and understanding.
Meal Prep Assistant
This volunteer position supports our Healthy Minds Coordinator to prepare ready-to-eat meals that we will be offered in the food bank. Duties include:
- Wash dishes and clean kitchen
- Help with meal prep: peeling and cutting vegetables, cooking, and packaging prepared foods.
Food prep experience is an asset. This volunteer position is required Wednesdays & Thursdays between 9:00 am - noon (volunteer would pick up a day “one day” that works best for them each month).
Kitchen Assistant (Breakfast Program)
This volunteer position will support kitchen coordinator with:
- Cooking of breakfast, use of grills and toaster
- Washing dishes and cleaning kitchen
- Serving take-away meals to all guests
This volunteer position is required Monday to Saturday between 7:00 am - 8:45 am (volunteer would pick up a day “one day” that works best for them each month).
Front Desk Navigator
- Acknowledge and welcome all clients, visitors, volunteers, and donors in a friendly and professional manner
- Keep front desk clean and tidy
- Prepare the floor with setting up the chairs, welcome sign, TV, tablet, phones and other supplies
- Answer all the clients’ questions and address their complaints
- Help clients filling the tax form and file it after
- Receive letters and mails and send them to the appropriate destination
- Check unhoused clients with laundry program and food bank
- Answering calls
This position is required Monday to Friday between 9:15 am - 2:30 pm with half an hour lunch break. (Volunteer Would pick up a day/time that works best for them each month). Shift is two hours long.
Food Market Registration Desk
- Acknowledge and welcome clients into the foodbank in a friendly and professional manner
- Check client eligibility, ID, and complete new client paperwork and enter their visit - all done in Link2Feed database
- Complete a Household Points card, including any birthdays and dietary needs
- Introduce guest to the first available volunteer shopper or, if a volunteer shopper isn’t available, ask guest to return to their seat until an available shopper can call for them
- Help shopper volunteer and front desk volunteer when needed
This volunteer position is required Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday between 9:15 am - 2:30 pm with half an hour lunch break. (Volunteer would pick up a day that works best for them each month).
Shopper Assistant (Food Market)
The Shopping Assistant works directly with the clients while they shop. This person will:
- Engage the guest in conversation
- Support the guest to spend their points in each area of the Market
- Track any unused points
- Offer nutritional and menu suggestions
- Offer samples or tastings including recipes when available
- Be ready to share other programs that could add to a client’s overall support
- Make sure the completed household points card is returned to the Outreach mailbox so any notes can be added to the guest file
- Clean and tidy around the market when not shopping with guests
This volunteer position is required Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday between 9:15 am and 2:30 pm with half an hour lunch break (volunteer would pick up a day “one day” that works best for them each month).
Feed Nova Scotia delivers food each Monday, this day the Market is not open to the public. This position:
- Organizes and stocks shelves that clients will be shopping from during distribution
- Lift some heavy food items such as boxes and bags
This volunteer position is required Monday between 9:15 am – 1:00 pm with half an hour lunch break.
Short Term or Group Volunteer Opportunities
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us! At this time we are not looking for group volunteers.
We are always in need of financial support, so if you are able, please consider making a donation today.