Working at Brunswick Street Mission
Thank you for your interest in Brunswick Street Mission. We have the following staff position available at this time:
Position: Bookkeeper (Temporary)
The Brunswick Street Mission, located in Halifax, seeks to inspire a better quality of life that addresses physical, emotional, practical and spiritual needs for those experiencing poverty. We achieve this by providing essential services to the community, while maintaining a commitment to addressing the root causes of poverty within the Halifax Region. Our essential services include Trusteeship through the In-Trust program, Tax Program, Outreach, Clothing Centre, Food Bank and Breakfast Program.
The Mission is looking to hire a Bookkeeper. This is a temporary (3 months) part-time position and has the potential of becoming a permanent position based on funding availability and operational needs.
Hours of work are Monday through Thursday from 8:00am -12:00 noon (flexibility in hours of work possible).
- Processing accounts payable, including reconciling invoices and statements for vendors.
- Overseeing distribution and maintaining records of donated gift cards.
- Preparing cheques for signature and records payments into the General Ledger.
- Maintaining the integrity of database accounting systems by regularly updating files, reports, and spreadsheets. May include vendor lists, employee payroll data, or similar information.
- Preparing and record the deposits into the General Ledger.
- Making weekly bank deposits.
- Preparing assigned bank reconciliations for the Mission and In-Trust accounts and monthly visa reconciliations.
- Preparing month-end financial reports for review by the Treasurer.
- Assisting Executive Director and Treasurer in any other additional reports required for the monthly Board meetings.
- Assisting with the year-end audit preparation.
- Assisting the Executive Director with the maintenance of the filing system including payroll, payables, and other confidential files.
- Assisting in the preparation of the Annual Report.
- Assisting the Executive Director and Director of Fundraising and Development as needed.
- Demonstrating positive and supportive interaction with clients, volunteers, board members, staff, donors, funders, suppliers, and the general public.
- Promoting the works of the Mission in a positive and beneficial manner
- Diploma or formal education in Accounting or a related field.
- At least three years of work experience in the following areas:
- Accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll
- HST and GST legislation as it relates to non-profit organizations
- General office procedures
- MS Word, Excel, and other related accounting software.
- Knowledge of Quickbooks and Fundmetrics, is an asset.
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Have good communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Strong attention to detail
- A criminal record check is required.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to Mission@BrunswickStreetMission.org, reference “Bookkeeper 2021” in the subject line. The deadline for application is June 25, 2021.