Volunteer - Board of Directors
Our Board of Directors is made up of dedicated individuals from across the HRM who believe the programs we offer support people and households struggling with poverty. All our members want to help lead the organization forward as we adapt to new siturations while advocating for changes that would see the end to poverty.
There is currently one position to be filled:
The Brunswick Street Mission (BSM) is seeking expressions of interest from qualified applicants to serve on the Board of Directors and fulfill the role of Treasurer.
BSM is a registered not-for-profit organization that exists to inspire a better quality of life through a ministry of care that addresses physical, emotional, practical and spiritual needs for those experiencing poverty.
Located on Brunswick Street in downtown Halifax NS, BSM has an annual operating budget of approximately $600,000 with assets totalling $1,200,000. Day-to-day operations are under the purview of an Executive Director supported by a team of six. Without consideration to ethnicity, race, or religious affiliation, they deliver a “hot breakfast” program, operate a food and clothing bank, and provide outreach and other services to people who have been systemically disadvantaged.
BSM is seeking a finance or accounting professional to join its Board of Directors and fulfill the role of Treasurer. This person will be key to the Board’s financial oversight role and works closely with the Executive Director, Bookkeeper and the Director of Fundraising.
The general expectations are described in the accompanying, “Volunteer Board Member – Role Description”. Principal duties specific to the Treasurer’s role include:
- Overseeing the development of annual operating budgets in collaboration with the Executive Director and others;
- Working with the Executive Director to oversee the annual audit (performed by an outside firm);
- Developing and presenting monthly financial reports to the Board, advising them on budget versus actual revenue and expense variances, and making recommendations as appropriate to maintain the Mission’s financial health;
- Participating in the Annual General Meeting and presenting the annual financial report; and
- Contributing expertise to the Board’s Investment Committee.
- A professional accountancy designation (CPA) along with at least five years of professional work experience
- Experience working with a “not-for-profit” would be considered as an asset.
We look forward to hearing from team players who bring strong communication, relationship-building, innovation, and creative problem-solving abilities. Those expressing interest should be prepared to serve a minimum of three years on the Board as Treasurer and to join us as early as September 2021.
Although the position is unpaid, the successful applicant will find the work rewarding and will bring a greater understanding of the issues concerning poverty, homelessness and addiction in HRM. It is a chance to make a difference!
Please submit your covering letter and resumé by e-mail to: Norm Andrews, BSM Board Member & Chair Investment Sub Committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org